Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Stretch Marks & Loving My Ever Changing Body Throughout Pregnancy

Getting Stretch Marks . . . & Loving them?


I know, I know... stretch marks are hereditary, right?  Yeah, well that didn't stop me from applying every lotion I had owned and recently bought that promoted "PREVENTS STRETCH MARKS!" on the bottle.  From the moment that positive pink two lines showed up on my pee-stick, I started to heavily apply lotions and oils onto my skin to prevent what my mother had been blessed with, stretch marks; and let me tell you, no amount of moisture could have saved my once mark free stomach, hips, and legs.  I had gone 26 weeks into my pregnancy without a single scar.  At the time, I thought "Woah! maybe I'll get lucky and not get a stretch mark at all!" HA! Boy was I mistaken.  The next morning after jinxing myself, I woke to discover not one, nor two stretch marks, but maybe about ten.  Not only did I feel like my self esteem had plummeted down, but I felt as if my body had betrayed me.  Again, that was another thing I was dead wrong about.  
Shortly after, my stretch marks started to multiply and spread to my hips, legs, and were accompanied with cellulite and a pretty little consolation of acne on my face.  I still didn't feel pretty even though I knew my body was altering because of the precious little human I was growing.  It wasn't until I was 30 weeks pregnant that my views on my new body made sense and became a body I loved and appreciated. 
 At 30 weeks pregnant I had turned 22 years old and wanted nothing but to see what my cute little baby looked like.  I had wondered if she had her fathers lips and eyes, or if she resembled me with pinchable chubby cheeks. I kid you not, the moment I first laid eyes on my gorgeous daughter through a 3D ultrasound, the disappointment I had about my body, the worries, and the collection of lotion bottles I had accumulated did not matter anymore.  I began to realize that this body that was covered in stripes was because of the healthy baby I had created.  
Now, at 35 weeks pregnant and nearly ready to pop, I promote the beauty of stretch marks. Yes, they do take some time getting used to and they can be a little embarrassing to show, but when you realize how they came about, those worries will perish because of the beautiful bundle of joy you and that amazing body have created. 


Penelope at 30 weeks 

No comments:

Post a Comment